Medicare fraud and abuse cost taxpayers billions of dollars each year and can cause higher health care costs for beneficiaries like you. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona/BCBSAZ takes Medicare fraud and abuse seriously and actively identifies, investigates and prosecutes health insurance fraud – but we need your help to do it.
What to look for
Being able to identify and report fraud and abuse can help you protect your identity and reduce Medicare costs. Some examples of health care fraud and abuse include:
- Claims for services, supplies or prescriptions that you never got
- Duplicate claim submissions
- Using someone else’s insurance information to get services or supplies
- Falsified medical records
- Providers who provide medical care or prescription drugs without a license
- Misrepresentation of the location where services or prescription drugs are provided
- Improper billing practices or billing too much for supplies, services or prescription drugs
Report your concerns
If you think you or a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona/BCBSAZ member has been the victim of Medicare or health insurance fraud or abuse, you can report your concerns by contacting us or Medicare:
Protect yourself from identity theft
Identity theft happens when someone uses your personal information (like your name, Social Security number, Medicare number or credit card number) without your permission to commit fraud or other crimes.
Read our tips and use the resources below to help protect yourself from identity theft. If you believe you have been the victim of identity theft, contact your local police department to file a report and contact the Federal Trade Commission.
- Medicare will never charge you for your Medicare ID card
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona/BCBSAZ will never charge you for your member ID card or a replacement card
- Medicare will never call you uninvited and ask you to give personal information
- Don’t share your Medicare number or personal information with anyone who contacts you, unless you have given them permission to contact you
- Guard your Original Medicare card and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona/BCBSAZ member ID card the same way you would a credit card
Learn more about Medicare fraud and abuse at Medicare.gov.